Saturday, October 13, 2012

Portland: “The Story, Last Night, Wasn’t the Broken Windows”

Five businesses had their windows broken by a group of around 50 people Thursday night in Southeast Portland, OR. Is this a harbinger of things to come? Read about it at Portland Indymedia.

From Portland: “The Story, Last Night, Wasn’t the Broken Windows":

People were still buzzing about what had just happened. Absent, was a sense of anger regarding the vandalism. It is curious, how astonishing the absence of something can be. Inner SE Portland is, after all, a sleepy urban community.

I stopped in at Nick's Coney Island for a drink. Police arrived, and questioned the bartender. I asked her what that was all about, to which she replied, "Some protesters took one of our chairs and threw it through the Wells Fargo window."

Before I could stop myself, I blurted out, "That's awesome."

She leaned in, smiling, and replied, "I know! Fuck Wells Fargo."

No comments: