Monday, March 24, 2008

Checking in ...

I don't have a title for this post, I just have some stuff I want to talk about.

First off, I'm so disgusted at the news media, even the left-wing Air America type station I used to listen to, and radio personalities I've enjoyed in the past (like Stephanie Miller, Karel, etc.). You can probably surmise that I don't have a television. If you do yourself, I don't know how you can stomach it.

We've just struck the 4,000 death knoll for our Armed Forces in Iraq, on the heels of the 5th year of hideous waste and lies propping up this greedy good-for-nothing occupation of a country that never attacked us and wasn't even a threat ... and all these guys can talk about is Rev. Wright in relation to Barack Obama. That's all the news gatekeepers will *let* people talk about. So we have 3-4 young American lives getting wasted every day and all the Wal-mart shoppers are plodding about their business as if nothing's going on. As if nothing can touch them. As if these chickens aren't ever coming home to roost.

But of course, they already are. I'm paying at least twice as much for food as I usually do, gas prices are getting prohibitively expensive. But things aren't even close to how bad they'll get when China decides to call in its debt. If you haven't invested in gold and stocked up on food yet, please consider these preparations today.

I saw a post on Portland Indymedia that asked us where our money was at. Good question. If you can invest in a credit union, why not? Banks are not the best option, morally or otherwise right now.

With an eye towards the big picture of fixing what's wrong with this country, I ran across this idea about virtual cantons today. Not that I'm endorsing it because I don't know enough about it, but I think I'm going to start a collection of interesting ideas that I'd like to see happen in this country when the inevitable reform (or even revolution!) comes about. Because what's going on right now is not only intolerable, it's simply unsustainable.

One thing I'd really like to see in this country is Instant Runoff Voting. This allows people to rank their choices on the ballot and thus largely does away with the "spoiler effect" of a 3rd party candidate. One thing's for sure, the Democratic Party is not speaking for the people and is nearly as corrupt as the Republican party is right now, which hardly seems possible, but there you go ...

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Yes - the media sucks. Take a look at FightingBob.com It's mostly Wisconsin stuff, but at least they're talking about the real issues.

My thought was that it would be good time to build our own little networks: farmers, gardeners, livestock people, roofers, carpenters, mechanical people, butchers, bakers and candlestick makers.

If this sucker does crash, I want people around me who know something about maintaining food supplies, water supplies and shelter structures.

While we're at it, it might just be a good time to learn a skill that fits into that style of economy. I don't want to land in that situation without a useful skill to trade upon.