Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Nature Spirits

Yesterday I had the thought to go down to Golden Gate Park's arboretum and "see how my friends the plants are doing." That got me to thinking ... you know, plants can be friends to humans in much the same way animals can be.

We don't talk about it much, but it's evident from sites like Portland Indymedia how much love plants can inspire in human beings. There are kids who will sit in trees for days on end to keep them from being cut down. I remember when I was younger my family was moving out of state and we would soon pull out of our driveway for the last time. It suddenly occurred to me that it would be years (if ever) before I'd see the tree in our front yard again. So when no one was paying much attention I quietly slipped out of the car and gave it a hug, or at least a pat. I still miss the rose bushes from a house I used to rent.

Plants do indeed respond to loving kindness. They cheer us up when we are sad ... this writer claims they can heal us by just being in their presence (more from Zcascadia here). Thank you, plants! :)

No comments: